Monday, May 12, 2014

The Talk

I did it. I had to give "The Talk" to each of the kids.

Um, no, not THAT talk.   The other one. 

I think you might recall me writing about Newton. My third (hairy) child.  Newton is 11. He's been slowing down over the last year. Hey, when your 77, you've earned that right. 

Last week, I noticed Newton was kind of dragging.  His tale was between his legs and he was sleeping quite a bit. (not much of a give a way when he normally sleeps alot).   He was hanging out in the basement, sleeping. Normally he hangs upstairs and sleeps (waiting to hear a crumb fall on the floor) that's his selective hearing. He hears only what he wants to hear. Those words are "cookie" and "walk."  He does give a little bark now and again if someone sets foot on our property. He might not get up, but he gives a good low "woof" warning. 

For the last week I have been warning the kids. Giving them updates on how Newton is doing that day. 

After last nights walk, Newton just laid in the grass about 30 feet from out yard. He got sick a couple of times and he needed a rest. I have seen that look before on Sheddy (the dog we had growing up). Newton tried to smile and look happy while he was resting. I had to get RT out to help me walk Newton to the yard. That's when we decided it was time for the talk. 

I'm not sure if Bella totally understands. This time I had to stress the fact that we won't see Newton (if it happens...). Trying to give comfort that Poppy would take care of him.   

The tough talk was with Alex. He was two when we got Newton. He grew up with him.  He remembers (a little) when we got Newton.  Newton has always been around for him.

It's hard with pets.  They are part of the family.  It's hard watching them get old.  Just hoping Newton isn't in any pain.

No comments:

Post a Comment