Sunday, April 15, 2012

Greek Easter

I probably should say Orthodox Easter.  When I was growing up there was Easter (Orthodox Easter) and American Easter.  Well, I'm Greek.  In my house you were either Greek or American.  RT likes to make fun of me.  So, I started saying, "western religion's easter" and "Eastern Orthodox Easter."  Too much to say, and explain.  I now say that we celebrate two easters.  It's such a wonderful holiday, Jesus dying for us and then rising from the dead so we can have eternal life.  Why not celebrate it as often as you can?

We spend "Eastern Orthodox Easter" with my family (my dad's side).  Our main event is seeing family and, well, eating.  We Greeks like to eat.   We roast a lamb on a spit.


 My Uncle George is usually doing this job.  Every year he says it is his last year and that he will turn it over to the younger generation and every year he is out there at 7am,  cooking that lamb!

it tastes better when you pick it off while it's cooking


My children enjoy the park that is only steps away from my cousin's house. 

There were quite a few frogs in the area
I couldn't get pictures of them (I tried)



I decided I would take a video so you could hear them.  They were so loud!
My cell phone ring is "froggy night" and sounds just like this, in fact, when I got out of the car (when we arrived) I thought my phone was ringing.


There is always lots of food to eat (and lots of dessert, too).



The easter eggs are all dyed red.  Why red?  The red color is to remind us of the blood of Jesus that was shed on the cross for us.
This year (and every year) I made a spanakotyropita, spinach cheese pie.  I only have the picture of the spinach pie in the oven.

Mmm, looks delicious, doesn't it?

Χριστός ἀνέστη!