Monday, July 20, 2020

Vegan Diaries: Roasted Eggplant Hummus

I love the summer time.  Lots of sunshine and lots of fresh vegetables from the garden.  

This year I planted eggplant.  I think I must have picked a weird  odd different type of eggplant this year.  The eggplant that are growing this year are coming in crescent shaped.  I think they are either Little Finger Eggplant or the Organic Heirloom Long Purple Eggplant.  

Normally I make Eggplant Parmesan or Moussaka during the summer with my eggplant harvest.  I'm not sure my small, skinny eggplants will be able to make these dishes.  I would need quite a few of them in order to make one of these dishes.

I did some digging and came across this Roasted Eggplant Hummus.  You can find details and pictures here.   Because my eggplant are so small, I roasted three of them.  During this process, I also learned that roasted eggplant is quite tasty. 

Here's the recipe:

Roasted Eggplant Hummus

ingredients:
1 eggplant
3 cloves garlic
2-3 TBS Olive Oil
1 can chick peas
2 TBSP Tahini
3/4 tsp cumin
1 1/4 tsp paprika
2-3 TBSP lemon juice
2-3 TBSP Aquafaba
salt to taste

directions:
Oven 450.
Cut eggplant lengthwise and place onto lined baking sheet.  Score the eggplant and brush with olive oil.  Peel garlic, brush with oil and place in tin foil and place on same baking sheet.  Roast for 30 minutes.  Remove from oven and let cool.  Scrape the inside into a bowl and set aside.  Discard the skin.

Add everything to your food processor (chick peas, roasted garlic, eggplant, tahini, salt, cumin, paprika, lemon juice and 2 TBSP of aquafaba.  Blend until you reach your desired consistency.  Feel free to add more aquafaba for a smoother consistency.

Feel free to add kalamata olives or drizzle with olive oil.  Serve with pita chips or fresh veggies.


*My eggplants were really small and skinny.  I used three eggplants and they were roasted in about 15 minutes.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment