Monday, February 15, 2021

Knife Sharpener

Yes, we are back on this subject again.

You may remember awhile back I wrote about knives and knife sharpening in this post.  We learned a lot about my family history with knives.  I am still struggling with the use of the steak knife, probably because of my ties to my family and their #1 selling book, "101 Uses for the Steak Knife."

That post mentioned the knife sharpener that Nick gave me for my birthday.  When he was living with us, he would sharpen the knives for me.  Well, let me clarify that last sentence.  Nick would only sharpen the knife that he was planning to use.  This worked for me, since I'm not keen on knife sharpening.  That metal scraping metal sound just goes right through me.

Since Nick has moved out, the knife sharpening happens on an as needed basis.   In our house that is when we remember, which really translates to once every six months.  

 The other day, I decided to sharpen the knife that I was using.  RT noticed me with a knife and a knife sharpener (a very rare sighting in our house) and said,  "Don't use my knife."   

We have been married for a long time and I did not realize that some things are his and some things are mine, especially when we are talking kitchen knives.   I would think knives are community property.  I can't see us splitting up and fighting over who gets the kitchen knives.  

Apparently, I'm wrong.  

RT has a knife set aside that he has been using in the kitchen.  He sharpens it and puts it away in the cabinet.  He even refers to it as his knife.  

I'll let you in on a little secret if you promise not to tell.  I can reach that cabinet and have been known to use that knife.  I mean, if I am the one who washes the knife, I see no reason why I can't use it.  

And, hey, if we split up, he can have that knife.  I'm sure the blade will be dull by then.  

No comments:

Post a Comment