Wednesday, February 24, 2021

Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe Using Aquafaba

 Have you heard about aquafaba?  

Aquafaba is the water in which legumes (specifically chick peas) has been cooked.  The aquafaba is used in vegan cooking as an egg substitute.  If you aren't into cooking down chick peas you can definitely use the liquid from the canned chick peas.

How do we substitute aquafaba for an egg?  3 Tablespoons of aquafaba is equal to 1 egg.   If you are looking for just the egg white (substitute) then use 2 Tablespoons of aquafaba.

I have heard quite a bit about aquafaba and how great it is to use in baking and I had to give it a try.  I had a difficult time finding a recipe online so I thought I would use it on one of my own recipes for Chocolate Chip Cookies.  This recipe can be found on my blog here.  This is the house favorite when it comes to Chocolate Chip Cookies.  If you do not want to veganize your cookies, the original recipe lists all of the ingredients.

I made these cookies not knowing exactly how they would turn out.  I was pleasantly surprised.  In fact, I think they taste a lot better with the aquafaba!  

Here's the recipe:

Chocolate Chip Cookies

ingredients:
3/4 creamed butter
1 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
3 TBSP aquafaba
2 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup chocolate chips
1 cup chopped nuts

directions:
Add butter to sugars and cream well.  Mix all together.
Drop by spoon onto cookie sheet.

Bake 375F for 8-10 minutes.  Do not over bake!

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *  *

Here are some of the original notes for this recipe:


*You can use 2 cups of chips instead of nuts or you can use peanut butter chips or even M & M's!

*I've substituted coconut oil for some or all of the butter in this recipe.

*I have used half the amount of sugar (or course) and they have turned out delicious

* I have substituted the egg for a flax egg.  To make a flax egg mix 1 TBSP ground flax with 3 TBSP cold water and let sit for 5 minutes before adding to your mixture.

You can freeze the aquafaba.  Freeze in an ice cube tray, 1 Tablespoon cubes and store in freezer bag.

If you try baking with aquafaba, let me know the results in the comments below.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment