Monday, November 23, 2020

Greetings from My job as a WalMart Greeter Wannabe

Things that I notice while being "the World's Best WalMart Greeter."

Apparently our numbers were low in this area and in order to step it up they now place a person by the front doors whose sole purpose is to greet customers.  Some people respond in kind, while others ignore the greeter.  There are happy shoppers and crabby shoppers.  I'm not sure why the latter even enter the store.  If you are crabby, just stay home.  

When I am greeting, I find that I am invisible to some until I am needed.  Shoppers that ignore me when entering the store, will suddenly find my existence me and ask me for assistance.   

Customers use hand sanitizer like it's lotion.  We have a big bottle by the front of the store that customers can use upon entering or leaving the store.  Some will sanitize their hands and then do it again.  I have had people sanitize their hands three or four times.

This pandemic took away brain cells.  I have customers using the exit as an entrance.  It's pretty safe to say the entrance is to the right for most stores.  When my children were little and could not read, I taught them that green means go and red means stop.  There are stickers on the doors at retail establishments that are red (do not enter) or green (enter).  

Along with brain cells, the pandemic stole people's ability to talk or communicate.  I will say "Good Morning," or "Hello"  to a customer entering the store and will hear a grunt in response.  It's almost like I am talking to teenagers.  This skill on how to talk with humans might have to be relearned for some people.

I think it's pretty safe to say that this whole virus situation has taken a toll on everyone.  I seem to have listed quite a few negative situations.  I am happy to report that there are positives to being the greeter.

I do get some fun customers.   Why not have some fun while I'm up there?

As a customer leaves, I will thank them for visiting our store.  Sometimes a customer will tell me, "Oh, I'll be right back."  When they return, I'll say, "You came back!  We missed you!"

One guy came in and I said hello.  He replied, "I'm sorry.  No kissing.  There's a pandemic going on."  

Sometimes older men ask me for help locating their wife.  I always tell them to seize this opportunity and run.  Unfortunately, the wife has the car keys so, we start our search through the store.

My Dad taught me to make the best of situations and, as you can see, it has definitely come in handy when I'm at work.  I'm grateful for inheriting my Dad's great sense of humor.  It certainly has helped me survive working retail.

No comments:

Post a Comment