Tuesday, March 31, 2020

Vegetarian / Vegan Diaries

Yes, Kids.  It's time, once again, for another installment of Vegetarian / Vegan Diaries.

When I decided to go Vegetarian, it was a personal choice.  I didn't make a big deal about my decision.  I didn't want (and still don't want) other people to make a fuss about what I was (or wasn't) eating.  In fact, I didn't really tell many people.  It was on a need to know basis.

Unfortunately  the word spread and that's when the headaches started.

"Why don't you eat meat?"
"What exactly do you eat?"
"How do you get your protein?"

Some people think I just eat lettuce.  That I just nibble on carrots, like I'm a rabbit.

I can explain and explain and explain what I eat, where I get my protein, all the vitamins that are found in food that is grown and I'm still unable to get this information inside some people's brains.

I understand some of these people do not know what "healthy food" means.  These are the people that don't eat fruit or vegetables.  The same people that think you can eat fish or chicken if you are a vegetarian.   It can be really annoying when someone brings up this subject for discussion.  I try my best to answer the questions and quickly change the subject.

I realize that everyone was brought up differently.  That you learn healthy (and non healthy) eating habits at home.  You see what your parents are eating, how they prepare the food and you do the same.  Your parents probably learned their eating habits from their parents.  And, maybe somewhere down the line, there are some people that will alter their eating habits when they get older.

 If you choose to argue the health benefits of someone's eating habits, it is very helpful to have some knowledge of food nutrition. 

I think that's all I have to say on the subject for now.... I'm sure I will add to this in a later post.

No comments:

Post a Comment