Monday, September 10, 2018

Vegan Diaries : Black Bean Brownies

Wanted to make some brownies for a dessert one night from scratch.  I have been dying to try my hand at making black bean brownies.  I had them at a party once and was shocked to learn that there was a whole can of black beans in them.

I found this recipe and thought I would give it a try.

Black Bean Brownies

ingredients:
1 14oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
2 large eggs*
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp oil
1 TBS unsweetened almond milk
1 tsp balsamic vinegar
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips

directions:

Oven: 350F
Line a 9x9 square baking dish with parchment paper
Blend black beans, eggs, cocoa powder, sugar, oil, almond milk, balsamic vinegar, baking soda, baking powder in blender until smooth.  Pour into bowl.
Mix in half of the chocolate chips.
Pour brownie mixture into the prepared dish and sprinkle the remaining chocolate chips over the top of the brownies.
Bake until a toothpick comes out clean (about 30-32 minutes)
Allow brownies to cool completely before slicing them into squares.


* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *


*You can use flax eggs instead of eggs.  1 TBSP ground flax plus 3 TBSP cold water and let sit for five minutes.

I didn't tell the family that these contained black beans.  I waited until they were eaten and if they asked, then I told them.  I didn't have any complaints and they disappeared quickly.  Oh, and at least I know they got some protein while eating these brownies.

P.S.  The recipe originally called for 3/4 cup of sugar.  I reduced mine to 1/2 cup and thought they were delicious.  If you like a real sweet brownie, feel free to add more sugar.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment