Friday, September 7, 2018

Sick

I came down with a cold a couple of weeks ago.  I was down for the count for about a week.  I had to get my shifts at work covered.  I did go in one day, but, was lucky enough to be able to leave a little early that day.

The thing about being sick is that most people can take the day off from work (with pay) and get better.  Maybe family members take care of them.  Bring them homemade soup, juice, hot tea, over the counter medicine, cough drops, an extra blanket, some aspirin...  you get the picture.

I forget these things because I don't get sick that often.  And, when I do get sick, that's when I remember that I'm the one that does the running around, getting juice, bringing aspirin, making homemade soup, etc. for the sick person.  So, when I get sick, I'm left to fend for myself.  I was able to get my shifts at work covered (I don't get sick days or paid when I'm sick) but, I wasn't able to get the work that needed to be done around the house.  No one cooked dinner.   Laundry did not get washed.  Errands were put on hold.  Grocery shopping did not get done.

I do have to say that Nick did ask me daily (usually multiple times during the day) if he could get me anything.  He even gave me some vitamins to take to try to knock out my cold.

Luckily we have a garden this year.  I lived off tomatoes.  I didn't have any energy (probably because I wasn't eating anything) to make anything for myself to eat, and, well, there were tomatoes sitting there on the counter.  Lots and lots of tomatoes.  So, I ate them.

I'm thinking I should get together a game plan for my next illness so things don't fall through the cracks and I actually have some food to eat while I'm sick (other than tomatoes).

I'll just put that on my never ending To Do List.

No comments:

Post a Comment