Wednesday, September 5, 2018

College Drop Off

I need a T-shirt with, "I survived college drop off."

Alex is the first going away to school, so this experience is all new to me.

The school provides you with a list of items your child might want/need while they are away at school.  Normally, the parent and child tackle the list and purchase (or find in the house or from friends or neighbors) the items they feel will be needed.  Items are then packed and moved with the child on move in day.

I'm pretty sure that's how it happens in normal families.  Or maybe families with a daughter going away to school.

Our college prep was all me, running form store to store trying to find things that Alex might need  Alex did not want to talk about it or be a part of it.  In fact, he got to the point of saying, If I need something, I'll just buy it.

I made sure he had the necessities.  Sheets, pillows, blanket, towels, soap and toothpaste.  I even threw in some toilet paper, crackers and granola bars.  Hey!  I'm a mom and want to make sure he has healthy snacks and a few necessities.

Alex was in charge of packing his clothes and cleaning up his room (HA!).

Move In Day arrive and Alex is tossing some clothes in a duffel bag (like he's going on a weekend get away.  We all fit into RT's car (all five of us) along with the small amount of stuff Alex brought with him.  As we are unpacking (at school), Alex says, "I think I'm going to have to come home next weekend to get more clothes and stuff that I'll need."

He's lucky he isn't that far away from home.

No comments:

Post a Comment