Friday, December 2, 2016

Car Dealer

Had to take my car in to the dealer today.  I ordered a new cover for the side view mirror and they had to put it on the car.

To answer your question (How did it come off?), Alex was pulling the car out of the garage (when he was first learning to drive the car) and got a little too close to the side of the garage and it popped off. Well, it wasn't completely off the car.  For awhile, I drove it around with it being held together by rubber bands.  After getting a goodwill package from the dealer, I decide it was time to take the plunge and get it repaired.

One thing I hate doing is visiting the car dealer.  This visit should have been a quick visit (snap off old housing, unhook old light, hook  new light and snap on new housing).  I was optimistic at first.  When checking in, the guy said he could do it himself.  Of course, after a couple minutes he said he was going to get the experts to help him out.  This led to something about needing screws for it and then the whole mirror might have to come out....

And there I sat in the waiting room.

To make my long story even longer short (and my life more complicated), they broke a clip on the mirror in the assembly process, so, they have to order an entire new part (including the mirror).  The new part (outer housing) has to be painted and I will have to return and go through this nightmare again.

The positive side is the dealer is paying for the new mirror, housing, painting and installation.  The clips on the mirror and housing are very thin and break easily, so, I'm glad that they will do the installation.

The downside is that the clips are very thin and this will probably all happen again and again and again and now a weekly visit to the dealer to have the outer housing installed on my car is just going to be part of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment