Friday, April 8, 2016

The Chauffeur

Alex has his drivers permit.

I think a lot of parents freak out when their kid starts driving.  It is a shock, I'll admit.  I mean, just yesterday you were chasing them around and strapping them in a car seat.  Now they are able to drive the car (with you riding along side them, of course).

I think it's a little scary at first.  Especially since they have no idea what they are doing.  Well, they know a little because they are taking Drivers Ed, but, they haven't started the driving part.  As a parent, you have to teach them some of the basics.

Driving with a student driver is like an amusement park ride.  You don't quite know what's going to happen.  It might go slow.  It might go fast.  It might just stop altogether.

At first, Alex's right turns were....interesting.  He would turn and then stop.  There was a hesitation (like, what do I do next?).   It was like time stopped.  It seemed like five minutes passed, but, it was probably only seconds.  Then, he would accelerate and we would be on our way.

Alex is a lot better at driving now.  He has been driving for six months.  He is 16, but, he has to have his permit (and 50 hours of driving time) for nine months before he can get his Drivers License.

I have to admit, I am enjoying all of this driving.  I get to be chauffeured everywhere.  If I say I have some errands to run, Alex is right there, offering to drive me.  Of course, once he reaches his 50 hour mark, who knows if this chauffeuring will continue.

No comments:

Post a Comment