Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Mountain Driving

I like to drive.  I also enjoy being driven (in a car...not crazy!).

When we go on vacation, RT feels the need to do all of the driving.  I offer to drive (or take turns driving) and am always turned down.  Very rarely will RT let me drive.

Recently, we went on a little driving trip.  Alex did a lot of driving (trying to get those hours in for his license).  RT drove when Alex took a break.  I offered many times and of course, was turned down.

One day, during our trip, RT decides that he is going to have me drive.  Of course, he decides this when we are in the mountains.

For the record, I have never driven in, on or around mountains.

When we drive to Florida, RT drives through the mountains.  For some reason he saves driving in heavy traffic for me (something that I absolutely hate doing).

So, RT has this harebrained idea that I should now drive.  It started with the idea of RT and Alex doing a hike together.  I would drive them to the trail head in the morning and pick them up in the late afternoon.  Sounds easy.  The only problem?  We are staying in a cabin that is high up in a mountain and the roads leading to it are pretty steep.

I agreed to the plan (yea, not sure what I was thinking).  I had nightmares that the road was really small and I was going to drive the car off the side of the mountain.  I woke and told RT, he said I need to conquer my fears.  Of course he wouldn't be in the car when I was driving up and down the mountain, so, what did he care?  I'm sure he checked on my life insurance policy to make sure "death by driving off the side of a mountain" is acceptable for cause of death.

I am happy to report that I survived.  There was one mishap, but, I won't speak of it for a good 5-10 years (or more).  I don't think RT needs to know what really happened.

When I picked them up at the trail head, I told RT that he had to drive back..

My mountain driving days are past me.

Let's just check that one off my bucket list and move on.

No comments:

Post a Comment