Friday, February 12, 2016

The Dog

I think I have created a monster.

I love dogs.

I love dogs that want to be around people.  I mean, why have a dog if he/she doesn't want to hang out with you and your family, right?

Pippen is a people dog.  He loves to be around us.  He's very excited when we come home.  He has to know exactly where we are in the house.

Wait.

Correction.

He has to know where I am in the house.

OK, but, he does like to be by everyone in the family (especially if I'm there).

I recently noticed that he needs company when he eats.  When he was a puppy, I stayed with him so he wouldn't bother Newton (or try to eat Newton's food).  As time went on, I realized he liked company.  Now with Newton gone, I see that he won't stay and finish his food if I leave the room.  I don't normally worry about this, but, I don't want him to eat while no one is home and then have an accident on the carpet.

I can see my brother, Steve, telling me that I got what I deserve.  When I was younger, I used to feed our dog one piece of dog food at a time.  Taking each piece from the bowl and placing it in front of him.  In my defense, our dog, Sheddy, loved it.  Steve told me I was spoiling him and that Sheddy would expect to eat that way all of the time.  I eventually stopped.  It probably took Sheddy awhile to adjust to having to eat out of the bowl by himself.

I guess eventually Pippen will learn to eat by himself.

Now, opening doors and searching the house for me?  I don't think that will stop.

No comments:

Post a Comment