Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Broken Mug

Bella received a huge coffee mug filled with packets of hot chocolate from her best friend for Christmas.  She has been using the mug for water, cereal, snacks, and, of course, hot chocolate.  

The other day while I was at work, I was told that there was a phone call for me.  I hesitated because, who calls and asks for me at work?  

I answered the phone and I could tell that Bella was trying to keep it together.  I had to calm her down and try to get the details without a bunch of tears.  Apparently, the huge red coffee mug broke (oh, the horror!).  

Bella told me that Nick broke it.  Now, I'm imagining the two of them getting into an argument and Nick breaking her mug.  

The true story finally came out.  Bella put a glass snack bowl inside the mug and carried it into the kitchen.  The glass bowl got stuck and Nick tried to get it out (I found out later that he used a rubber hammer...yea, I didn't ask for details).  I told her not to worry.  It's just a mug.  Every one's OK. There were no injuries or blood.  We'll all live (without the mug).

I have to say...I was afraid to go home.  I mean, a gift from her best friend and it broke.  This isn't the first gift to break (from this same friend).  Bella received a sand dollar when her friend visited the beach last summer.  RT was in Bella's room hanging up a picture and accidentally dropped a hammer (it's always a hammer) on her shell.  The sand dollar shattered, of course.

Anyway, I got home and realized that Bella was not there.  Nick and his car were missing, too.  I asked Alex and he had no idea what was going on.  I called Nick and could tell that he was in a store.

Here's where I get choked up.

Nick took Bella to Toys R Us to buy her something because he felt bad that he broke her mug.  I told him that it was very nice and thoughtful of him and that I was proud of him.  I also said that he didn't have to buy her anything.  He said he wanted to do it and that it was the right thing. 

And, he said that he was going for favorite brother status.

No comments:

Post a Comment