Monday, April 6, 2015

Zippered Pouch

I think I mentioned that I got a sewing machine for Christmas a few years ago.  I've always wanted to learn how to sew.  I've always been fascinated watching people just whip something up on their sewing machine.

I took a beginner sewing class.  Everyone in the class had been sewing for years.  I was the only beginner.  The others were there to learn how to use their sewing machine.  I, on the other hand, had never sat behind a sewing machine in my life!  It was probably pretty obvious, too.  I mean, I had a hard time threading the needle.  I broke a needle, which was probably good because I learned how to replace a broken needle.  I had problems with the bobbin.  I could go on and on.  I think I got my moneys worth out of the class (and the class was free).

I took a break from the sewing.  Probably because I didn't have time.  I don't have the luxury of having an extra room (a sewing room) to have everything set up.  I have to lug it out of the laundry room and set everything up at a table and then clean everything up so the table can be used.

One day I hauled everything out and decided I was going to figure out how to make a fold over pouch.  Click here for the easy tutorial that I used.

If you look real close, the center part is crooked

This doesn't look too bad

I couldn't quite get my pouch straight.  Of course, I figured out that I was cutting the material with a scissors and not using a rotary cutter.  (its SO much easier with a rotary cutter!)

The machine got pushed to the side again until the other day when I found this easy zippered pouch tutorial.  Of course, "easy" is a term for those who can actually find their way around a sewing machine.  Those of us that have no clue what we are doing, then, this is more of a challenging zipper pouch.

My first attempt:


Not bad for a first timer.  I know where I went wrong and how to fix it (I think).  I decided to jump right back in and make another one.  Bella wanted the first one, of course.  I told her that I would make her a special one, and by "special" I mean one that has "personality." (read: not perfect)  This is what I came up with:

This is a soft fleece outside

and flannel on the inside

I'm pretty proud of what I made the second time around.  I'm going to keep practicing and see if I can perfect my zippered pouch.  

Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment