Sunday, September 10, 2023

My Weird Dog - Green Beans

 I plant a (vegetable) garden every year.  I grow tomatoes, cucumbers, an assortment of peppers and green beans.  Every year I like to mix it up a little and try growing something different.  This year it was sugar snap peas.  Sometimes I purchase the plants and sometimes I grow them by seed.  This year, I had a half packet of green beans and thought I would just plant them all.  Normally, some of the seeds don't take and I'm left with five or six plants.  This year, all of the seeds made it and we have had an abundance of green beans.

I do what any normal person does with a large crop.  Panic.  Just kidding.  I clean them, cut and blanch them, then freeze them.  I have a several gallon sized bags of frozen green beans in our freezer.  Normally, I like to have enough so we can have home grown green beans at Thanksgiving and or Christmas.  This year, we could probably have green beans every night for dinner and still have some left over for the holidays.

Yes, I have given some away.  I haven't tried the "Sneak some onto a neighbor's porch" yet (although I am certainly tempted..).  And yes, I have made dishes with green beans.  Some that actually called for green beans and some that I decided needed fresh green beans. 

I made a rather large batch of my Greek Style Green Beans.  RT and I must have had them a few days in a row.  While at work, I texted him and said that I couldn't eat green beans a third night in a row.  I could sense the relief when I got RT's text.  Later that evening, RT wondered if dogs could eat green beans.  (I think the abundance of green beans is putting him over the edge).  RT put some of the green beans in Pippen's dog food and they disappeared rather quickly.  Pippen had the rest of that green bean dish (spread out over a few days).

Yes. Pippen likes green beans.  He won't touch carrots or apples, but loves his cooked green beans.

Today is National Hug Your Hound Day.  A day to pamper your pet.  Something that happens every day in our house.  I have a feeling RT will celebrate the day by making Pippen a batch of green beans.

No comments:

Post a Comment