Monday, August 28, 2023

Cherry Chocolate Chip Cookies

I am a fan of cherry chocolate combinations.  I had a taste for maraschino cherries (I don't why) and bought a jar.  Unfortunately, they only had one size jar and it was HUGE.  After eating one, I realized I had to figure out what I can do with them, other than put them in my tropical drinks.  I did a little research and found this cookie recipe.  The cookies are amazing and disappeared within 24 hours.

Here's the recipe:

Cherry Chocolate Chip Cookies

ingredients:
 1/4 cup butter*
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 large egg**
1 tsp vanilla
1/8 tsp almond extract
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup maraschino cherries, drained, finely chopped***
3/4 cup mini chocolate chips

directions:
Oven 350F.
In large bowl, add butter and sugar and mix well.  
Add in egg and extracts and mix.
In separate bowl, whisk flour, baking soda and salt.
Gradually add dry ingredients to wet ingredients.  (best to mix by hand at this point)
Add in cherries and chocolate chips and mix by hand until combined.  The dough will be thick.
Drop dough balls onto lined baking sheet. 
Bake for 16-18 minutes.
Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet (about 15 minutes) before transferring them to cooling rack.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

A few notes:

*I used vegan butter for this recipe.  I also reduced the amount of sugar in half.  They were still sweet and tasty.

** I used a flax egg.  1 flax egg = 1 TBSP flax seed + 3 TBSP cold water.  Let sit for 10 minutes before adding to the mixture.   You can probably use aquafaba.  That's 3 TBSP of aquafaba = 1 egg.  Aquafaba is the water mixture inside the can of chickpeas.

*** If you like cherries, you can save some of the chopped cherries (or chop a few extra) to add to the tops of your cookies.

****If you want to add a fun look to these cookies, add a little pink gel food coloring to the batter.  Just keep an eye on the cookies while in the oven.  You don't want to burn them.  


If you make these Cherry Chocolate Chip Cookies, let me know what you think in the comments.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment