Friday, October 21, 2022

Political Parties

 Well, in honor of free speech week.... here we go.

I was thinking about political parties.   Very popular back in the day (Oh, I'm thinking over fifty years ago).  Most people identified as either a Democrat or a Republican.  You were all in, too.  Whatever the political party put on the platform is what you believed in and/or felt was most important to you.  You basically went along with the pack.  That political group would nominate a candidate to represent the party and you would back them.  Hey, that candidate is who "they" feel will do the best job.  If other people had a different opinion (or were from a different political party) you would have your moments of discussion/arguing, but you still got along with them.  There were protests but they were peaceful.  Sure, there was "dirty politics" and political lies and tricks.  The media (back in the stone age then it was television and newspapers) gave you a view from both sides of the table.  There was some mudslinging, but never with a hatred or a harm to person or country.  People were allowed to be different and to express how they feel and what is important to them.

I don't remember my parents being tied to any particular political party.  Well, they are the ones that taught me not to discuss politics with others (one of the many topics I am not to bring up in social situations).  I feel they brought us up to think for ourselves.  Review both sides of an issue before making a decision.  Not to get caught up with what others (or mainstream media) are doing or thinking.

With this being free speech week, I challenge you to stand up and let your opinion be heard.  But, more importantly, I challenge you to listen to "the other side."  

No comments:

Post a Comment