Thursday, April 15, 2021

National Get To Know Your Customer Day

 Today is National Get To Know Your Customer Day.  It is a day where businesses reach out and try to get to know their patrons better.  This day started out with the General Store (family run) type businesses.  Small stores are a lot more personable and willing to please their customers.  They are great at making the customer feel extra special.

The best way to get to know your customer is to ask questions, use social media and follow up after a purchase (maybe a quick survey).

I thought this day was interesting because, as you know, I work in retail.  I think it's great on the business side to get to know your customer/consumer.  I do love people, but I find that when they are a customer, they act a little strange.  If you need a little proof, just search Karen Stories or when you work in retail on this blog.   There are some doozies.  Which makes me seriously think about this day and wonder, do I really want to get to know my customer?  Do I really want to know what the customer is thinking as they glare at me when I say "hello" to them or thank them for stopping in today?  Do I really want to get to know "Bear Spray" guy?  Or the woman who used gloves to hold a piece of paper that she printed out at her home?  

The other day at the register, I had a customer that said "boop" every time he pressed the buttons on the pin pad.  He has visited our store before and made the exact same noises last time.   Is he someone I should get to know?  "Hey, why do you make weird sounds when you press buttons?"  

I think I will sit this holiday out.  I know a little too much about the customer.    

No comments:

Post a Comment