Wednesday, August 5, 2020

The Green Glass

Isn't it funny how you favor certain items.  They become your favorite or your go to item.  It could be a shirt, a pair of shoes, or a hat.  And, sometimes it's a green glass.

Whenever Nick comes home to visit, he always goes for the green drinking glass.  I only have one green glass.  I  bought it because it looked cool.  The kids all asked about it, like,

"Why did you buy it?"
"Why is it so thick?"
"Why is it green?"
"Can I use it?"

Nothing gets by my kids.  They usually notice new things when they appear in or around the house.  Once they notice the item, the questions start pouring out.  One of the most asked questions is, "Why did you buy this ____?  The old item could be falling apart, have holes in it or is broken and my children will ask why I bought a new one.  They are excited about the new item but feel close to the older item that is being replaced.  And yes, they ask about the fate of the older item.

It's funny.  I will see the green glass in the cabinet and I won't use it.  In my mind, the glass belongs to Nick.

Nick has a special spot to hide his  the glass he is using when he is here visiting.  A spot in the corner on the kitchen counter.  He purposely leaves the glass there when he leaves.  I always make sure that the glass is clean and ready for him to use when he comes home.  

Before his next visit, I'm going to have to remember to place the clean glass in his special spot before he arrives home.

No comments:

Post a Comment