Friday, August 7, 2020

Karen Stories

Time for another installment of Karen Stories.  A time when I can share my wonderful  lovely  scary  retail experiences with you.  

I keep thinking I will run out of stories, but, then I go to work and a Karen inspires me to write another post.  

Todays story is about face masks.  Face masks are required in stores, businesses, restaurants and grocery stores in the state of Illinois.  You are required to wear one, but, most places do not enforce it.  Masks are required in our store, but, we are not allowed to enforce this rule.  We were told to call a manager if a problem arises.  It's pretty common knowledge.  Put a mask on when you enter a store.  There are signs on the doors telling you to wear a mask when entering.  I really didn't think that masks would be a problem when we opened in June.  People were wearing them at other stores when they were shopping.  It wasn't a new thing.

A couple of week ago, I get a customer that starts telling me about an unmasked customer in the store (oh, the horror!).  I assured her that we require masks in our store, but, unfortunately (or fortunately) we can not enforce this policy.  She told me, "That's OK.  I approached her and told her to put on a mask.  And can you believe it?  She told me that she doesn't have to wear one because she is not sick!"    There wasn't much I could do, so I just sympathized with her.

The other day, I had a customer come up to me and asked if I was the manager.  I said no.  This customer starts telling me about some people in the front of our store that were unmasked.  OK, Karen.
I told her that we can not, as an employee, enforce the mask policy.  I did call a manager for her to complain to to speak to about the unmasked heathens  customers.   

Have you confronted other shoppers in a store?  

Have you told another customer to put on a mask? 

No comments:

Post a Comment