Monday, November 18, 2019

Vegan Diaries: Easy Garlic Naan

The other day I posted a Chick Pea Tikka Masala recipe.  The Tikka Masala was absolutely delicious.  And, I think, it was over the top because it was served with this home made Garlic Naan.

Tikka Masala is one of my go to entrees to order at an Indian restaurant.  Being able to make it at home makes me very happy.  And, now, with this easy Naan recipe, I have an easy to make meal to add to the rotation.

By the way, my bread snobs  family approves of this Naan recipe.

I found the recipe here.  And, this will go great with my vegan  Chick Pea Tikka Masala.


Home made Naan

ingredients:
1 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp dried yeast
1/2 tsp table salt
pinch sugar
3/4 cup hot water
3 TBSP oil

1/2 cup salted butter
2 tsp dried garlic flakes *
2 tsp cilantro

directions:
In small bowl, combine yeast and hot water and pinch of sugar and let proof.
In large bowl, combine flour and salt.
Add yeast mixture and oil and combine ingredients.  Once dough is combined, use your hands to gather dough together, making sure the sides of the bowl are clean.
Place dough on cutting board dusted with flour and knead the dough for 15 minutes.
Place in a bowl, cover and let sit for 20 minutes.

After dough has risen, punch it back down and then divide it into three equal balls.
Place one ball on floured cutting board and start rolling the dough to form the naan bread into an oval shape (make sure that it will fit in your skillet or on your griddle).

Put your skillet/griddle on high heat and let it get searingly hot.
Place dough onto skillet/griddle and cook for about 2 minutes.  It should start to puff up and char lightly.
Flip the bread and cook for another 2 minutes.

Remove to a plate and drizzle with garlic butter.
Cover with foil and keep in low oven while you prepare the other breads.

Garlic butter:
Place butter in a small microwaveable bowl and microwave until melted.
Stir in the garlic and cilantro.



*I used chopped garlic and fresh cilantro in the garlic butter.  I also used a vegan butter for this recipe.
*I added chopped fresh garlic to the dough so it tasted garlicky on the inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment