Monday, November 4, 2019

Vegan Diaries: Chick Pea Tikka Masala

I think it's time for another Vegan Diaries.  It's been awhile.

I have been in a cooking rut for quite awhile.  Making some of the same, plain, boring meals.   There have been quite a few complaints here about my lack of desire to cook. I had to shake myself out of it.  I needed some inspiration.

I started perusing Pinterest and came across this recipe for vegan Tikka Masala.  You can find the recipe by clicking here.  I pinned it and last week I finally decided to give it a try.

If you enjoy Indian food and like Tikka Masala, give this recipe a try.  The aroma with all of the spices was wonderful.  This recipe does seem a little involved and detailed (can you say crazy?), but, it's well worth the effort.  

How good was this dish?

Well, there were no left overs, so, I'm thinking this dish was a success.  I will definitely be making this recipe again soon.

Here's the recipe:


Chick Pea Tikka Masala (Vegan)

Ingredients:
For the Chick pea Tikka

2 cups cooked chick peas
2-3 garlic cloves finely minced
1/2" ginger finely minced
3/4 tsp garam masala
1/2 tsp chili powder
1 TBSP lemon juice
1/2 TBSP oil
salt to taste

For Masala Sauce
1 small onion, diced
1 can whole tomatoes
2-3 garlic cloves, chopped
1/2" ginger, finely chopped
1/4 cup raw cashews
1 tsp cumin
1 1/2 tsp coriander powder
2 tsp oil, divided
1/2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp garam masala


Directions:
For chick peas:

Oven 400F.
In mixing bowl, mix all ingredients under Chick pea Tikka.
Spread evenly on non stick baking tray.
Bake chick peas for 10 minutes.  Stir them and continue baking for another 10 minutes.


For the Tikka Masala Sauce:

Heat 1 tsp oil in large skillet.  Add chopped garlic, ginger and onion.  Cook until onion is translucent (about 2-3 minutes)
Add tomatoes and raw cashews.  Cook until tomato softens (about 4-5 minutes)
Add Cumin and coriander.  Mix well, then transfer into a blender or food processor.  Add 1 cup of water and blend until smooth.
Heat remaining oil on low heat.  Add chili powder and cook until fragrant.
Add blended tomato mixture.
Add garam masala, mix well, cover and simmer on low for 5 minutes.
Add roasted chick peas, garnish with some cilantro and serve.



*I forgot to add the cashews (it wasn't missed)
*I served this over some cooked basmati rice.
*You can add more water if you like so the sauce isn't that thick.
*I used canned chick peas and it wasn't the end of the world.

I served this with some fresh home made naan.  It's really easy to make the naan.  Here is the link.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment