Friday, December 21, 2018

Jesus Handle

You know that bar/handle in your car that sits above the passenger window?  It's where the passenger can grab when the driver slams on the brakes.  The passenger then yells, "Jeeezus!"

The Jesus handle gets a lot of use in our cars.  Mainly by RT.  He is not the best passenger.  He claims it's because of being in a couple of accidents 30-40 years ago while he was in the passenger seat.

I can see him grabbing the handle when the boys were starting to drive.  They are  a lot more experienced now, but, RT still feels the need to grab hold of the handle as the child is driving.  The kids can't figure out why he grabs hold of it and complains about their driving.

I've been with RT for 27 years and (knocks on wood) have not been in an accident.  When I first started driving, my parents always told me that "If someone is in the car with you, make sure to drive carefully.  If you are by yourself, then you can do whatever you want."  Of course, I took that last part to mean, "I can drive like a maniac by myself."  I'm always with my kids, or someone else in the car, so, I'm very careful when I drive.

So, I was not surprised when RT climbed in my car the other day, grabbed the Jesus handle and did not let go until we got safely home.  I don't ask him about it.  And, honestly, it doesn't bother me.  I guess after all of these years, I'm used to it.

I do have to admit that I chuckled a little to myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment