Monday, July 2, 2018

Garbage Day

Garbage Day always seems to be a big day at our house.  Running around trying to make sure all garbage and recycling is out by the street.

I usually keep track of when the trucks come by to pick up.  The garbage was on a really early pick up (7:15 AM) and recycling was in the late afternoon.  It's just recently switched, with recycling being picked up in the morning and garbage in the afternoon.

On pick up day, before we are having company (a party) I like to make sure all garbage and recycling gets out.  I'm usually after my kids to make sure they get their stuff out there.  My children have a tendency to clean out their rooms and unearth enormous amounts of garbage and recycling the day before we have people over.

I have an "interesting relationship" with the garbage men.  They all are great, I have no complaints.  I think it started many years ago when we were tossing out the blinds from the kitchen.   We didn't have a sticker and they didn't fit into the can.  The garbage men came by and didn't take them.  I happened to be outside when they were two houses down.  I whistled and the truck backed up.  I sweet talked them a little and they took the blinds.

Years later, we had a can out by the curb full of dirt.  The guy said he couldn't lift it (this was obviously before they had the mechanical arms that grab the can and empty it).  I told him I was the one who carried it to the curb (and I really was the one who carried it!).  I think he was embarrassed.  He grabbed the can and emptied it.

Recently, we painted our house and had some boards replaced.  I fit most of the boards into our garbage can and even filled the neighbor's can.  We had some real long boards that didn't fit in a can and I didn't have a sticker for them.  So, I figured I would help the garbage man throw them in the truck.  I had my work gloves by the door.  All of the windows were open in the house so I could hear the garbage truck approaching.  Every time I heard a noise I sprang into action, grabbing my gloves and flying out the front door.  After about 6 hours of exercise this, the garbage man finally arrived.  He wasn't about to take them but I said I would toss them in.  He caved and said he would do it.

Our village just switched waste haulers.  I'm hoping they are as user friendly as the last bunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment