Friday, February 23, 2018

Pay It Forward

I just did a million too many several posts for Random Acts of Kindness Week.  I don't see why we need a special day or week to show kindness to one another.  This is something that should just come naturally.  We should be spreading kindness every day and everywhere.

I received a text from a friend telling me what a great son I have raised.  She sees him where he works and says he is always polite, happy and helpful.  When Alex came home, I gave him a hug,  showed him the text and told him how proud I am of him.

I thought the story would end here, but, it continues.

Alex told me that's not all he has done.  He said, "Sometimes, I pay for people in line."  He works at a fast food restaurant.  "Sometimes I pay for friends and sometimes for people I don't know."

I told him that's very generous of him.

He continued.  "When I'm in line at a drive through, I always pay for the person behind me."

Me:  Wow!  That's wonderful.  Paying it forward (or backward?).   It's nice to do things for other people.

Alex:  The other day,  a woman stopped me while I was driving.  She needed $10 to get a ride home.  I told her I didn't have any money.  I went to an ATM, got out some money and went back and gave her $20 so she could get home."

At this point, I'm in tears.  I've always said he has a big heart.  It's wonderful to see that big heart in action.

I did warn him about giving random people money.   Sometimes they use it for other things.  Alex said he drove back and she was gone.  He's pretty sure she just needed money for a ride.

You teach your children things everyday from the time they are born.  You're never sure if anything you have said or done is sinking in.  But, when that day comes and you witness your child doing something good?  Well.  Like the credit card companies say:  Priceless.

My heart is bursting right now.  I'm so proud of him.

Now, imagine if everyone did random acts of kindness everyday?

No comments:

Post a Comment