Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Vegan Diaries - Chick Peas and Dumplings

I think this whole Vegan thing has been quite fun.  I'm discovering new recipes and new ways to make meals that I had when I was eating meat.

I found this Chick Peas and Dumplings recipe and thought I would give it a try.  I have to admit, that I was worried that it was going to be awful and that we would be dining on peanut butter sandwiches.  So, I was pleasantly surprised at how delicious this meal tasted and plan on adding this to one of my favorite meals.  Nick gave it a thumbs up and a "next time add more mushrooms."

Here's the recipe:

Chickpea & Dumpling Soup
taken from: But My Family Would Never Eat Vegan, by Kristy Turner

ingredients:
2 TBSP Olive Oil
1 small onion, diced
4 celery stalks, sliced
3 large carrots, peeled and sliced
2 garlic cloves, minced
8oz mushrooms sliced
3 bay leaves
2 1/2 tsp thyme
2 tsp rosemary
1 tsp parsley
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/4 cup oat flour *
3 cups cooked chickpeas (or 2 15oz cans, rinsed and drained)
1 quart vegetable broth
2 1/2 TBSP Vegan Butter
1 1/4 cups flour
1/2 cup fine cornmeal
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 tsp garlic powder
3/4 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk
2 TBSP fresh parsley

Heat oil in large pot.  Add onion, celery, carrot and garlic and cook for 3 minutes.  Add mushrooms and cook for 3 minutes.  Stir in bay leaves, thyme, rosemary, parsley and cumin and cook for one minute.  Add oat flour and stir until flour is no longer visible.  Add chickpeas and broth and bring to a boil.  Reduce to a simmer and cover and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring to prevent sticking.

In large bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda and garlic powder.  Add softened butter and mix with a fork until you have a coarse texture.  In small bowl, combine the milk and parsley.  Pour into the flour mixture and stir until you have a thick dough.

Uncover pot and remove bay leaves.  Drop dough into soup.  Cover and cook for 15 minutes or until dumplings are solid.

Serve and enjoy.


*I learned that you can finely grind up oats and, voila! you have oat flour.

**I would add a little more garlic seasoning to the dumplings for more flavor.

Oh, and Nick would suggest that you add more mushrooms.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment