Thursday, May 14, 2015

RIP Ghetto Van

This is not how I wanted it to end.

I expected to drive off into the sunset in my van with the credits rolling.

Apparently that wasn't in the cards for us.

We were on the expressway returning home from Spring Break when the van decided to draw it's last breath.

sigh.

An hour and a half waiting for roadside assistance, pouring rain, thunder, Pippen freaking out in the back of the van, towing the van to the garage, Pippen in the van while it is being towed, and then hearing those dreaded words.

It's dead.

sigh.

We were 400 miles from home with a dead car.  Our choices?

a) Rent a trailer and haul the van back home.
b) Fix the van (new engine and who knows what else)
c)sell the van for scrap and rent a car to get home

You have to understand, RT and I like to analyze EVERYTHING when making a decision.  We aren't ones to just jump in and do something.  We have to break it down, piece by piece and figure out what is best for us.  Unfortunately, it's a major process for us and takes us hours, days, weeks, months, even years to complete.  So, just imagine us having to make a major life changing decision right now and live with the consequences.

Luckily, we had out sense of humor.  I think we laughed through a lot of the day.  It's one of those moments in life that we will look back on and laugh.  (I think?)

Pippen was very confused and scared while all of this was happening.  We will never know what happened to him in the van while it was being towed. He was very clingy and was happy to be out of the van.  He spent a lot of the time in the shop's office under a table.  Poor puppy.

my last picture

As the end and our final parting drew near, the powers that be were not working along with us.  RT and I were quickly cleaning out the van and shoving all of our personal belongings into a small 4 door sedan while it was pouring rain.  At that moment, I felt like I was homeless and I was trying to save everything I own.  And then that feeling turned to "things don't matter to me."  I made sure I grabbed everything, but, I didn't feel emotionally attached to anything.  They were all just "things."  That feeling didn't last long when I realized the van wouldn't release my Johnny Cash CD.

Ugh.  Kick me when I'm down.

I realized at this point that my life mirrors a country western song.

"My car died in Dry Ridge, Kentucky."

Or even better, the words to "Gambler."

You got to know when to hold 'em
Know when to fold 'em
Know when to walk away
Know when to run

There is an upside.  We did make it home safely.  We have our health and each other.  We can always get another car.  Of course, nothing can take the place of the ghetto van.  All of these things are replaceable.

sigh.

But......Johnny Cash.....

No comments:

Post a Comment