Friday, November 10, 2023

Retail Problems - Two Cents

 It was one of those crazy days at work.  I had a long line of customers at the service desk.  As I was helping someone, a customer came up and demanded her change.  "The cashier forgot to give me the change."  I told her that I can't just take it out of any register.  The change has to come from the register that rang up her purchase, otherwise both register drawers will be off when counted.  

I brought the customer over to the register and realize that it's a new cashier.  She has no idea how to open her drawer and get change and she is in the middle of ringing up a large order.  So, I start bagging for her and explain the situation to the customer.  The customer, of course, becomes upset because she does not want to wait.  I try to calm her down.  The transaction ends and I instruct the cashier on how to do a "no sale."  She's new, so I want to teach her how to do this so we don't get in the same situation in the future.  

The cashier opens the drawer and pulls out the change.  Two cents.  Yes, you read that correctly.  The customer threw a fit because she needed her two cents back.

I try to carry change in my pocket (my own money) so I don't have to go through these nightmares.  Unfortunately, this was one of the times I did not have any money on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment