Wednesday, July 21, 2021

Subtitles

 Subtitles: The text of dialogue, speeches, operas, etc.  Translated into another language and projected on the lower part of the screen.

I always thought subtitles were used for foreign films.  If you don't know the language, you can read the words.  Sometimes there are things that get lost in translation.  The subtitles will either try to summarize what is happening or ignore it by not putting anything there for you to read.  At that point, all you can do is hope it wasn't a key piece to the movie.

I was first introduced to the (frequent use) of subtitles while watching a movie with Nick and Bella.  I mentioned that the subtitles were on, as a reminder to turn them off and was told that they like using them while watching movies or TV shows.  Apparently this is a normal way to watch movies.  I found this fascinating.  Especially among a generation that is used to multi-tasking.  Think about it, they are on their phones and watching television (which is what one of my children was doing).  The whole concept of adding subtitles to the mix just baffles me.  Now, in addition to all of the other activities you have going on, let's add in some light reading.

Maybe it's just me, but, when the subtitles are on, I feel compelled to read them. I'm more focused on the words than actually listening and watching what is happening in a movie (or TV show).  I do have to say that subtitles do come in handy when the actor is a mumbler  you can't understand what the character (person) is saying.   That's a lot better than rewinding 100 times to try and figure out what was said.

How do you feel about subtitles?

Do you use subtitles when you watch television or movies?

No comments:

Post a Comment