Wednesday, February 19, 2020

And don't forget the P-E-Z!

Last week we celebrated my favorite holiday.

A little hint for those who don't know me:  It has lots of red and hearts and is all about Love.

RT gave me a very nice card and some fun candy.  And by fun I mean, a heart shaped box of chocolates with Snoopy and a PEZ candy dispenser.  I mean, who doesn't love Snoopy?  And the PEZ dispenser just screams fun!    The PEZ also brought back a good childhood memory.  

For those of you who have been living under a rock don't know about PEZ candy and PEZ dispensers, you can do a quick little search and read about the history of PEZ candy.

I remember when I first discovered PEZ candy and PEZ dispensers.  For some reason, I spelled PEZ out when referring to it.  P-E-Z, instead of just calling it PEZ.  Hey!  I was 5!  I was obsessed with the whole idea of the fun character dispenser and the idea of opening it to get a piece of candy.  The dispensers came in a variety of cartoon characters.  The dispensers were sold with a couple of refill packages.  The candy itself came in a fruit flavor, strawberry, grape and lemon flavors.  You could taste a hint of the flavor.  My Dad said they all tasted like soap.  

It was difficult to find refill candy.  If you wanted a refill, you had to purchase another dispenser.  

Enter my Dad.

This is where, in life, it's good to know someone who has connections.  My Dad knew a guy who could hook me up  sold candy, including PEZ refills.  My 5 year old self was so excited that I could get refills and use my same PEZ dispenser!

I remember calling my dealer  Dad and reminding asking him to bring some PEZ refills home.  To me, it was an important call to make.  My phone call included my Dad's favorite line, "And don't forget the P-E-Z!"

Ahh...memories.  And PEZ candy!  

Miss you Dad. 

Oh, and a belated Happy Valentines Day to everyone! 

No comments:

Post a Comment