Friday, June 14, 2019

No, really Officer, it's oregano!

Are you even a Greek Mom if you don't have random herbs drying around your house?

It's fun to hear my children explain to their friends that those trays of drying leaves or the ones that are hanging on the wall, are oregano (or basil or rosemary).  The look on their friend's face is priceless.

I mean, who has tons of herbs drying in their house all summer long?

My children even question my herb drying.  Well, until they smell it (oregano does have a distinct aroma).

I remember going through customs on our return from Greece and the one bag they decided to search belonged to my grandmother.  It was the one suitcase that we had a hard time closing.  In fact, we had strings tied around it so it wouldn't open.  Inside was various items, clothes, shoes, drugs  I mean dried oregano (Greek oregano is the best).  I was amused that they didn't bat an eye with the dried oregano.  It was packaged in plastic like bricks.  The customs agents were more concerned with the dried Trachana noodles that we were smuggling importing.  Maybe an old Greek Grandmother doesn't fit the drug trafficking type?

Oregano is legal.  That's the main herb here in this house.  So, if you happen to be visiting my house during the summer months, you will definitely see some drugs herbs drying.

No comments:

Post a Comment