Monday, June 22, 2015

Freezing Fruit

I just discovered freezing bananas.   Yea, it's probably been around for a real long time and yet I'm just figuring all of this out.  Scary, I know.  

When the bananas start to turn brown, my family thinks that they can no longer be eaten.  This, of course, makes the bananas turn darker brown and eventually to the point of no return.  In the meantime, I am trying to cut the bananas up and force feed them to the kids.  I end up trying to eat as many bananas as I can before they go bad and end up sick of bananas.  And then I get asked, "When are you going to buy some bananas?"

So, enter the "big freeze."  < Well, that's what I'm calling it.

When fruit has hit it's peak and it doesn't look like it will be eaten in time, I freeze it.  I just take the fruit and put it on a cookie sheet and pop it into the freezer for 30-60 minutes, then transfer frozen fruit to a container (or plastic storage bag) and pop the container back into the freezer.   This is great if you get fruit on sale (this is the season to stock up) and especially if you like to make smoothies.  This works on all fruit, not just bananas.  

It's good that I have inherited my mother's love of freezing everything.  (yes....EVERYTHING!)  We would see something that she just bought or made that day in the freezer that evening.  Cookies were her favorite.  Not only were they hard as rocks when they were freshly made, she would then pop them into the freezer.  You would have to thaw them out before you ate them.  You had to be careful not to chip a tooth because, even after they were thawed out, they were still hard as a rock.  (love you, Mom!)

Do you have any fruit or freezer tips to share?

No comments:

Post a Comment