Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Social anxiety

I would have written this post sooner but I have been in the closet curled up in the fetal position.

That's how I feel sometimes when being thrown into unknown situations. I do try  to make the best of every situation. Taking it as a challenge and, hopefully as a learning experience. My Dad's words always ring heavily in my ears, "The good time is within you. If you don't have a good time, there's something wrong with you."

After a long time of filling out applications, I finally got an interview (with a company I did not apply to).  It really isn't my dream job, but, hey, it's a job.

This all went down on Saturday.

My interview was with a popular clothing store in the mall (two places I don't want to be at, especially during the holiday season).  It was a group interview.  My first group interview.  That's where you interview with the manager and other job candidates.

Believe it or not, I was the oldest candidate.  I know.  I know.  Me?  Yea.  I couldn't believe it either. 

It was a fun interview.  Very interactive.  We all got to answer the questions (the manager would ask a question, then we would each take a turn and give our answer).  Then we were instructed to pick out an outfit that someone could wear to a business meeting and then a piece that they can take off to turn it into an outfit they can wear out on a date.  I think I did pretty good on that one.  (so did everyone else...I loved all of the outfits that were chosen)

We were then told that we would all get a call back within a day or two.

Outside of the store (in the mall) several of us gathered to discuss what just happened (that's where the age thing came up).

Each person was unique.  One was from Kenya, one was from Pakistan and another from Poland.  We talked for awhile then wished everyone luck as we said our goodbyes. 

I came out of the experience thinking it was quite enjoyable. As the one woman said, "I try to enjoy every minute. I don't get nervous. I take this as something new to experience."

Wise words. 

1 comment:

  1. I love your dad's quote! I'm going to have to remember that one.

    ReplyDelete