Monday, July 3, 2023

Vegan Diaries - Vegetable, Tempeh Teriyaki Dish

I decided that it was time for me to give tempeh a try.  

I don't know why I have been avoiding tempeh.  I have heard such good things about it and how easy it is to work with in various dishes.  It was time for me to test the waters.  As a first time tempeh experience, you can't get much simpler than this dish.  The tempeh was very easy to work.  The teriyaki sauce came out wonderfully.  I was very pleased how this dish came out and can't wait to try more tempeh dishes.

Here's the recipe:

Vegetable Tempeh Teriyaki Dish

ingredients:
1 8oz tempeh
1 medium head of broccoli, chopped
1 bell pepper, chopped
1 small zucchini, chopped
1/2 medium onion, chopped
1/2 cup soy sauce*
1/2 cup water
1/4 tsp brown sugar
2 TBSP rice vinegar
1 TBSP sesame oil
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1/2 tsp ground ginger
2 TBSP corn starch
1/4 cup water 

directions:
Oven 375F.
Lightly grease a baking sheet.*
Cut tempeh into 1/2" cubes and place on baking sheet.  Add broccoli, pepper, zucchini.
In a medium saucepan, combine soy sauce, water, sugar, rice vinegar, sesame oil, garlic and ginger.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmer for five minutes.
In a small bowl, mix the corn starch and cold water.  Whisk until smooth.  
Pour cornstarch mixture into the saucepan and whisk to combine.  Simmer for another five minutes until sauce has thickened.
Pour sauce over vegetables and tempeh on baking sheet.  Mix to make sure evenly coated.
Bake for 25 minutes.
Serve over rice, quinoa or couscous.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

* can use liquid aminos
*You can add or substitute other vegetables.  I added mushrooms.
*I used freshly chopped ginger for this recipe.
*I used a 13x9" baking dish for this meal

If you make this dish, let me know what you think in the comments below.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment