Wednesday, July 26, 2023

Vegan Diaries - Mediterranean Farro Salad

 It's amazing what you can find in your pantry if you really take the time to look around.  

I did the scary clean out of our pantry the other day.  Shocked at some of the things I found.  I'm good about not having expired food products, but I can't control the multiple open packages (of the same item).  Luckily, it's pretty easy to combine these packages into one and move on.

I found a couple open packages of farro (I'll take the blame for that one).  I thought I would try to whip a salad up using farro, and hopefully using up one of the packages.  

I'm not going to bore you and go on and on about the making of the salad, but I will tell you that I think this turned out to be the best salad I have ever made.  I will definitely be making this again!

Here's the recipe:

Mediterranean Farro Salad

ingredients:
1 cup farro
1 sm bell red pepper
1 cucumber, seeded and diced
pint of grape tomatoes, halved
1 bunch Italian parsley, finely chopped
1 bunch green onions, chopped
1/2 cup Kalamata olives, pitted and chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/3 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup olive oil
black pepper - to taste
8 ounces vegan feta cheese, crumbled

directions:
Cook farro according to directions until tender.
Drain farro and rinse with cold water.  Set aside to drain.
Combine pepper, cucumber, tomatoes, parsley, onion and olives into a large bowl.
In a separate small bowl, whisk together garlic, lemon juice and olive oil.  Feel free to add salt and pepper at this time.
Add farro to the large bowl of vegetables and combine ingredients.
Add dressing and mix.
Serve topped with feta cheese.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

*for the bell pepper, I used an orange bell pepper because that is what I had on hand.  

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment