Wednesday, June 14, 2023

Vegan Diaries - Kale Salad with Quinoa

 RT and I celebrated our anniversary last month at a restaurant in the city.  They didn't have much for vegans (or vegetarians), of course.  Quite surprising since the place was in a young, hip area of the city.  I did settle for their Quinoa and Kale salad.  Sadly, it was just mediocre.  I knew I could do better.

We have kale growing in our garden.  A leftover from last year's garden.  I thought I would try my hand at making this salad.  

Here is the delicious result:

Kale and Quinoa Salad

ingredients:
4 cups kale, de-stemmed and chopped
1/2 TBSP olive oil
1 can chick peas, drained and rinsed
1 cup quinoa, cooked 
1 med. red bell pepper, diced
1/2 red onion, diced
1/3 cup cilantro, chopped
1/2 cup feta cheese *
1/4 cup sunflower seeds
1/4 cup dried cranberries

dressing:
1/4 cup olive oil
2 TBSP vinegar**
Juice of 1 lemon
salt/pepper to taste

directions:
Add kale to large bowl.  Drizzle with olive oil and gently massage until leaves have softened.
Add remaining ingredients (minus the sunflower seeds).
For the dressing, mix ingredients in a separate bowl and mix well.  Pour over salad mixture.  You might not need the entire dressing depending on the size of the salad and taste preference.
Serve topped with sunflower seeds.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

* I used Violife vegan feta for this recipe.
** I used balsamic vinegar.  Feel free to use red wine vinegar, if that is what you have on hand.

If you make this kale salad, let me know your thoughts in the comments below.


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment