Friday, May 19, 2023

Retail Problems

 I figured we needed our monthly dose of scary people retail problems.  

I think my stories are dwindling.  I'm either not shocked or surprised anymore by what people say or do in the wild or I'm just used to the craziness.

I've mentioned that I work in a grocery store and that I have to card people for alcohol purchases.  I have to card everyone and see the physical ID card.  One busy day, I was ringing a customer's order and when I asked for an ID card, she showed me her phone.  She had a photo of her driver's license.  I explained that I had to see the actual Driver's License.  And that's how it started.  A fifteen minute rant about how the world is going digital and that our store needs to catch up to the times.  Everyone everywhere is accepting photo IDs.  While she is ranting, I'm feeling sorry for my really long line of customers.  I explain that our store isn't there yet and that this is a rule.  Of course, she wants to speak to my manager.  I did one better and asked the store manager, who was ringing right behind me.  The customer and store manager went back and forth for a few minutes.  The manager said she can not approve the purchase.  Now that another 5 minutes have gone by, the customer says, "Okay," and pulls her driver's license out of her purse.  When she left, every customer, when it was their turn, said, "I can't believe she argued with you for 15 minutes and had her ID on her the entire time!"

Yea, you can't make this stuff up.

1 comment:

  1. As if going digital is a good thing... (eyeroll)

    ReplyDelete