Wednesday, March 3, 2021

Easy Vanilla Cake

 Made this cake for Valentine's Day and it was a huge hit in our house.   There's nothing like cake made from scratch.   

I made some changes and added them below the recipe.  I don't use milk, so Oat Milk was used as a substitute.  And, if you follow along you know that I don't use a lot of sugar in my baking.  The cake will have frosting on top so there's your extra sugar.  I did not try aquafaba or a flax egg with this recipe.  When I do, I will make sure to update this post.

Does anyone else make their own birthday cake?  This cake is pretty easy to make and won't take up all of your time.  Easy and delicious.  Perfect combination!

Here's the recipe:


Easy Vanilla Cake

ingredients:
1 1/4 cups flour
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 egg
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup hot water
2 tsp vanilla 

for frosting:
1/2 cup softened butter
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 TBSP milk (oat milk, almond milk)

directions:

Oven 350*F.   Grease and flour 8" square or round pan.
In large bowl whisk flour, sugar, baking soda and salt.
Add egg, buttermilk, vanilla and oil.  Add hot water and whisk well until batter is smooth.  It might be a little runny.
Pour batter into pan.  Tap pan gently against counter to release air bubbles
Bake cake for 28 minutes or until golden on top and tooth pick inserted comes out clean.
Cook cake completely before frosting.

Frosting:

Place butter in bowl and beat for 5 minutes.  Add powdered sugar 1/2 cup at a time and mix well.  Add heavy cream and beat for 1 minute.  Add vanilla and mix.  Frosting should be very fluffy.  Spread over cooled cake and decorate with sprinkles.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 


*You can make this vegan quite easily.  I used oat milk to make my buttermilk.  Just add 2 tsp apple cider vinegar to 1/2 cup oat milk and let sit for 5 minutes.  
*Feel free to use less sugar in the recipe.  I used 1/3 cup sugar and it tasted delicious.
*I used vegan butter instead of the oil and it turned out ok.  
*I would think aquafaba or a flax egg could work as an egg substitute in this recipe.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment