Wednesday, December 2, 2020

Pfeffernusse Cookies

 I read about these cookies while I was writing about December's National Days and had to find a recipe so I could try them.  I mean, they have a national day named after them so they must be good, right?  I did a little research and found these cookies to be similar to Ginger Cookies.   The only difference is the addition of pepper, cardamom and anise.  

I made a batch for research purposes so I could say that I have tried Pfeffernusse cookies.   I'm a big fan of anise, so, I was quite excited to see how that comes into play.  I have to admit, I was a little nervous about all of the pepper.  One bite and, oh, I was in heaven.  The anise comes through while the pepper and cardamom seem to separate the other flavors.  

Besides being tasty, the name, Pfeffernusse, is fun to say.  Go ahead and say it.  Pfefferusse.  Make the cookies just so you can say the name!

Here's the recipe:


Pfeffernusse Cookies

ingredients:
1/2 cup softened butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup molasses
1 egg
2 1/4 cups flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp anise seeds, finely crushed*
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground allspice
1/8 tsp ground cardamom
1/8 tsp ground cloves
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar

directions:
Combine butter, brown sugar and molasses in large bowl.  Beat until smooth.  Add egg and beat until combined.  
In separate bowl, whisk flour, baking soda and all of the spices.  Slowly add dry ingredients to wet ingredients.
Chill dough in the refrigerator for an hour.
Oven 350F.
Scoop 1 TBSP of cookie dough and roll into ball.  Place balls on baking sheet lined with parchment paper (or silicone mat).
Bake 13 minutes or until firm to touch.
Remove from oven and let cool on sheet for three minutes.
Put powdered sugar into container with lid.  Place a few cookies in the container, cover with lid and gently shake until cookies are coated.  
Let coated cookies cool completely before storing in an airtight container.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

* I used anise oil and they came out wonderfully

These can be made early and put in the freezer for up to three weeks.  You can make these cookies now, freeze them and then enjoy them on National Pfeffernusse Cookie Day on December 23.

I found my recipe for Pfeffernusse cookies here.  

If you make Pfeffernusse Cookies, let me know what you think!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment