Monday, October 26, 2020

Delicious Crusty Bread

 I know I have mentioned more than once about my family being bread snobs.  I believe they were heavily influenced by their grandfather.  My Dad used to bring crusty French Bread to our house.  My children devoured the bread within hours.   My Dad frequented a local bakery, so when we visited their house for lunch, he always had the best sliced bread.  My children would make a sandwich and have a slice of bread on the side.  

I found this recipe here and thought I would give it a try.  Any bread I make has to be approved by the board (my family).  This bread passed with flying colors with it's crunchy crust.  I will definitely be making this bread again.

Here's the recipe:


Delicious Crusty Bread

ingredients:
1 1/2 cups warm water*
2 tsp yeast
1 tsp sugar
3 cups flour (plus extra for dusting)
1 tsp salt

directions:
In bowl, combine water, sugar and yeast.  Allow to proof.
Add flour and salt and knead for 5 minutes.  Dough should be slightly sticky (not wet).  If dough is wet, add 1-2 TBSP flour and knead.
Roll dough into ball.  Dust with flour (you want the dough to be well covered).  Place in bowl and cover with damp tea towel.  Let rise for 1 hour (or until doubled in size).
Preheat oven to 350F.  Place dutch oven with lid into the oven to preheat.
When dough has doubled, turn out onto floured surface.  Fold edges into the center of dough and place into floured bowl, seam side down.  Dust with more flour and cover with teal towel.  Let rise for 30 minutes.
Carefully move dough to dutch oven, dust with a little flour and cover with lid.  
Bake for 30 minutes.
After 30 minutes, remove lid and bake for another 10-15 minutes until bread is golden brown.
Remove bread from oven and let cool on wire rack for 20-30 minutes before slicing and serving.


* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *


*water should be warm to the touch, not scalding hot.

*This bread lasted less than a day in our house.

*Store in a paper bag to keep the crust crunchy.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment