Monday, August 3, 2020

Vegan Diaries: Vegetable Stir Fry

As I have mentioned in previous posts, during quarantine I did quite a bit of cooking and baking.  I started making this stir fry recipe and it became a huge hit with everyone.  Yes.  My meat lovers really got into the tofu!  I like that this recipe is flexible and I can add whatever vegetables that I have an abundance of in my refrigerator.   Although, I do have to admit, I'm a big fan of broccoli in this recipe.

Oh, and, if tofu isn't your thing, feel free to substitute chicken or leave it out completely.

Here's the recipe:


Vegetable Stir Fry

ingredients:
1 TBSP sunflower seed oil
8oz tofu*
ginger
1/2 cup carrots, sliced
1 cup mushrooms, sliced
1 cup broccoli florets
3/4 cup bell peppers, sliced
1/2 cup water chestnuts, drained and sliced
3/4 cup baby corn, drained
1 tsp ginger
3 cloves garlic, minced

for the sauce:
1/4 cup vegetable broth
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 tsp cornstarch

directions:
Heat oil in small pan.  Add tofu and ginger and cook until desired consistency (I like it to be a little brown on sides).  Set aside.
In large pan, heat oil.  Add carrots and mushrooms and cook until tender.
Add broccoli, peppers, water chestnuts and 2 TBSP of water to pan.
Cook for 3-5 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
Add garlic and ginger and cook for about 30 seconds.  Season vegetables with salt and pepper to taste.
In a small bowl, mix the vegetable broth and soy sauce.  Pour mixture over vegetables.
In separate small bowl, mix cornstarch with 1 TBSP cold water.  Add mixture to vegetables and bring to a boil.  Cook until sauce starts to thicken (about a minute or two).
Serve over rice.



*Make sure tofu is drained of water.  Press with paper towels to get rid of excess water.  Cut tofu into cubes.
*This recipe is great because you can add any vegetables:  Cauliflower, baby corn, snow peas, peas, green beans, etc.  Use your imagination.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment