Friday, November 20, 2020

Vegan Diaries - Baked Falafel

I love a good falafel.  

When I wanted falafel, I'm ashamed to say this, but, I used a box mix.   I know, I know.  I figured it was quick and a lot easier than trying to make it from scratch.  Just add some water, mix, form and bake, right?

Boy was I wrong!
 
I searched high and low and I found this recipe here.  I have to admit, I was a little nervous.  The recipe is pretty basic, and I like that they are baked.  I understand most falafel is fried.  I have tried frying my falafel and feel like a) it's messy and b) it's a lot heavier in your stomach.  I started baking my falafel and noticed a difference.  Not as oily and a lot lighter in my stomach.  I also like that this recipe uses canned chick peas, making the recipe easy to whip up anytime.

OK, enough talk.  Let's get to baking some falafel!  

Here's the recipe:


Baked Falafel
 
ingredients:
2 cans chick peas, drain and rinse
1/2 cup grated cauliflower
1 TBSP ground chia seeds
1 tsp turmeric 
2 tsp curry powder
1/4 tsp paprika
1 tsp salt
pepper to taste
1 small onion, finely chopped
2-3 garlic cloves, minced
3 TBSP water
some fresh parsley leaves

directions:
In food processor, put chick peas, chia seeds, cauliflower, spices, salt, pepper, onion and garlic and process until you have fine crumbs.  Scrape sides so there are no large chunks.
Add water and parsley and process again until batter like.  Let sit for 5 minutes so the chia seeds can absorb water.
Line baking sheets with parchment or silicone baking mats.  Shape batter into falafel balls using your hands.  Place on baking sheet and bake at 375F for 25 minutes.  
Let cook a little so flavors set.


* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 


If you try the Baked Falafel, let me know what you think in the comments below.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment