Friday, September 20, 2019

Corn Nuts

Corn Nut.  Also known as toasted corn, quico or cancha.  A snack food of roasted or deep fried corn kernels.

Corn nuts are one of my weaknesses.  I usually only find these at a gas station when we are on a road trip.  I'll buy some and eat the entire bag.  RT doesn't understand the attraction I have with corn nuts.  "too loud and crunchy"  But, that's the best part!  Maybe it's the salt?  Or the flavor?  Or the unusual texture and the loud crunch?  They're addicting!

I realize they aren't the healthiest snack to have, so, I rarely eat them.

Recently, I was at the grocery store and came across a healthier version of corn nuts.  Of course, I was intrigued and decided that I had to try them.

Well, I'll be honest.  The bag, which was pretty small, lasted a couple of hours.  That's a long time for me.  I actually had to go somewhere and couldn't eat them while out.  It was at this point that I  decided that I needed more corn nuts in my life.

I looked up corn nuts online and I came across a healthy homemade option.  

I tried making these using the coconut oil.  Just a little FYI, coconut oil in the oven doesn't have the greatest of smells.  The taste, tho, was pretty good!

Here's the recipe:


Corn Nuts
taken from Brooklyn Farm Girl

ingredients:
1 14oz bag Giant White Corn (aka Hominy)*
1/4 cup coconut oil
1 TBSP sugar
1 TBSP sea salt

directions:
Soak your corn overnight for 12-14 hours.
Rinse and drain.
Oven 400F.
Toss corn with sugar, salt and oil
Place corn on non stick baking sheet in a single layer* and bake for 30-40 minutes.  Every ten minutes or so, stir the corn.  Remove immediately when they are brown.  They can burn quickly, so keep an eye on them.
Let them cool and enjoy.

Can be stored in a jar for future snacking. (if they last that long)

*you can purchase Giant White Corn in a Mexican grocery store.  I'm thinking of trying to use canned hominy.  If it works out, I will update.
*You can use parchment paper or a silicone mat


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment