Wednesday, June 26, 2013

The "Mom, I'm bored" List

It's summer.  School is out. Nice weather (finally).  Lots of free time.

Time for swimming, hanging out with friends, go to the zoo, ride your bike, hula hoop, play hopscotch, play baseball (football, tennis, basketball, Frisbee), go for a hike, well, you get the picture. 

Once all of those activities have been done (once, maybe twice) then it starts.

"Mom, I'm bored!"

"There's nothing to do!"

Of course, any activity that you suggest to your child immediately gets shot down as not fun or "boring."

I decided to make a list of activities that Bella can choose from on her own.  I thought about putting them in a jar, but, figured, if she can read them off a list, she can decide which one she wants to do at that moment.

Here's my list:

1.    Draw a picture
2.    Have a picnic
3.    Make cookies
4.    Play with chalk
5.    Eat a vegetable
6.    Interview a family member
7.    Play hopscotch 
8.    Hula hoop
9.    Read for ten minutes
10.  Write a letter
11.  Take a nap or rest
12.  Pick up ________ outside (trash, pine cones, weeds etc.)
13.  Organize your toys 
14.  Dance
15.  Color in a coloring book 
16.  Play with bubbles
17.  Clean your room
18.  Vacuum the ________ room
19.  Ride your bike
20.  Write in your journal
21.  Play a board game
22.  Do an art project
23.  Make an obstacle course
24.  Build a fort
25.  Play dress up
26.  Do a puzzle
27.  Make a craft
28.  Do a service for someone

After I wrote these out (yes, they are listed on a piece if notebook paper that is pinned to the cork board in my kitchen) Bella said that she was bored. I told her to look at the "I'm bored" list. She was so excited about the list that she did four or five of the suggestions!  

So far, this has helped me out. If you have any ideas to add to the list I would love to hear them!

No comments:

Post a Comment