Wednesday, April 5, 2023

Homemade Hummus

 I posted this recipe quite a while ago and thought it was time to give it a little update.

My family enjoys eating hummus as much as I enjoy making it.  The one thing I found with my original recipe was the consistency.  It just wasn't very smooth no matter how much time it spent in the food processor.  With a little research and a few tweaks, I think I have finally nailed a smooth hummus.  The key?  Eliminate the oil and use the aquafaba (juice from the can of chickpeas) in place of the water.  Oh, and a little extra garlic is always acceptable.

Well, enough chatter from me.  Here is the recipe:

Classic Hummus

Ingredients:
1 15oz can chick peas, rinsed and drained
3 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely chopped
3 TBSP tahini
2 TBSP lemon juice
1/2 tsp ground cumin
pinch of salt and freshly cracked black pepper (to taste)
1/4 cup aquafaba or more if needed

*optional topping ideas:  extra drizzle of olive oil, chopped fresh parsley, crushed red pepper flakes, smoked paprika, toasted pine nuts, chopped roasted red peppers, basil pesto

directions:
Add first six ingredients to food processor, and blend until smooth.  You might want to scrape down the sides.  Add in the aquafaba and continue blending until the hummus reaches your desired consistency.  Add additional aquafaba if needed.


* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 

For something different, I like to chop up a jalapeño and make jalapeño hummus.  I add this at the beginning, before the aquafaba.  

You can also chop up chipotle peppers and make a spicy chipotle pepper hummus.  

If you make this classic hummus, let me know what you think in the comments below.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment