Wednesday, May 12, 2021

I played Hooky

 I have been working five days a week for a year and a half and have only taken two days off.  Unfortunately, those two days off would not be considered as fun days.  They were each taken (separately) due to a death in the family.

I was starting to get an attitude at work and decided that it was time for me to take a day off for myself.  

A personal day.  
A mental health day.  
A day to take care of me.

RT:  What are you going to do today?

Me:  Nothing.

Of course, nothing in my book means that I will be scrubbing the house from top to bottom all day.  I guess that's still doing something for myself, because I live here and I get to enjoy a nice, clean house.  It doesn't exactly scream fun, though, does it?

So, what did I do on my day off?

Slept in a little.
Took an extra long morning walk.
Drank a nice, hot cup of tea.
Played with my dog.
Cleaned the bathroom.*
Got a pedicure.
Took the child and her friend thrifting.
Made pizza for dinner.
Watched a few shows on Netflix.

*It had to be done.  I'm not exactly proud to say that I cleaned on my day off, but, I am happy that the bathroom is clean.  At least I didn't do an entire house cleaning!

If you know me then you know that I never take a day off from work.  I would have to be on my death bed in order to miss a day of work.  Someone would have to die for me to miss work (see the first paragraph).   I'm one of those people that does things for others and tend to forget to take care of myself.   I feel guilty when I do something for myself.  So, something like taking the day off or playing hooky is very odd behavior for me.

Guess what?  There were no feelings of guilt today.  In fact, I think I enjoyed myself. *

*Don't worry.  I won't make this a habit.  

No comments:

Post a Comment