Friday, May 27, 2016

How to make Ice Cubes

Our ice cube maker on our refrigerator broke.  I brought out the ice cube trays and started making ice cubes the old fashioned way.

Over time, I have noticed that only RT and I are the ones that know how to work the ice cube trays (i.e. emptying them into the ice cube bin in the freezer, filling the empty trays and putting them back into the freezer).  I realize it's a very difficult process and takes some in depth, hands-on training, but, after a few months, you would think that the kids would catch on.

This ice cube recipe is handed down from my grandmother, Yiayia.  She brought the recipe, along with some ice cubes, when she travelled by boat from Greece to America.  So, the recipe is very, very dear to me.

Step 1:  Fill ice cube trays with water.

Step 2:  Place filled trays into freezer.

Step 3:  Wait until ice cubes harden.

Step 4:  Once cubes are hard, empty tray into a bowl.  Use a few cubes when needed.  Store the rest in the freezer.

Step 5:  Go to Step 1 and start over.

Know that once you accomplish your first successful ice cube harvest, everyone will be proud of you and your achievement.

Including Yiayia.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for posting this! I've been looking everywhere for a recipe on how to make ice cubes. However, it looks a bit too complicated for me. I'll probably just continue buying my ice cubes from the store. Sorry, Yiayia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Patti, I'm so glad I could help you! Maybe one of these days I can do a video of the process. I could break the steps down and go into a little more detail. I encourage you to keep trying. I have faith in you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, I put the tray in the freezer and when I checked on them later, there was no ice. What did I do wrong? Help!! 😫

    ReplyDelete