Thursday, November 5, 2015

Beware of the Dog

I guess I should start out by saying, Pippen is not very fond of small dogs.  He just doesn't like them.  If he could, he would eat them (I think?).  He is also very territorial.  We have a fenced in yard and anyone that comes within 50 feet of the fence makes him go crazy.

We don't have sidewalks in our neighborhood.  We have trails that go behind the houses.  Some will go along the side of a house and cross the street.  They are all connected.  It's great with kids.  They can ride their bike in the back of the house and be safe.

Anyway....We have a trail behind and to the side of our house.  The trail is about 5 feet from our fence so you can safely walk your dog by our house and not be attacked by Pippen.

Every day this couple walks by our house.  The husband walks two dogs while the wife walks one (small dog).  < (key information)  And, everyday  this woman walks her little dog right up to the fence, knowing full well that Pippen will go insane.  Pippen runs back and forth barking and doing his snapping turtle routine, wanting to bite the dog.

This whole routine started the beginning of the summer.  The first time (and every time after) I went out and called Pippen off.  I explained that he is very territorial and that he does not like small dogs.

So, what happens?  They walk by every day and the woman has to bring her dog up to the fence.  The husband tries to tell her to stop and keep going, but she insists on leaving the dog by the fence.  All of this makes Pippen go crazy and me?  I have to come out and call Pippen off.

Every day.

So....the other day I went out to throw something in the garbage can.  I started talking to my neighbor.  Pippen came over and sat down.  All of a sudden, Pippen jumps up and runs to the back of the fence and goes crazy.  I look over and there is the husband with two dogs, trying to help the woman get a hold of the little dog that she is holding.  She refuses his help and continues to stand there keeping her dog right by the fence.  I end up running over and holding Pippen by the harness and calming him down.  I was "assuming" she would then take her dog and move on.  Instead she said, "He came out of no where!  I didn't know he was in the yard."  (another line she likes to use)  I smiled and said, he doesn't like small dogs and he is very territorial.  She just stood there.  I finally told Pippen to run upstairs on the deck (he listened).  I gave her a look and walked away.

My neighbor said, "She just stood there.  Why didn't she move?"  I said, "This happens every day.  She continues to taunt Pippen with her dog."

Not sure what else I can do, except, maybe suggest she has her head examined.

Any thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment